Placemaking Principles for CSS
The Wisconsin Department of Transportation uses eleven principles (adapted from Project for Public Spaces) that they apply to transportation projects. These principles are:
1. The community is the expert.
2. Highways create place.
3. Teamwork is fundamental.
4. Obstacles create opportunity.
Planning with the Community
5. Learn by observing
6. Develop a joint vision
Designing with the Community
7. Form supports function.
8. Synergistic solutions.
9. Start with quick, small, visible success.
10. Money will follow vision and action.
11. The project is never complete.